The California Assembly has an opportunity to send an historic and powerful asset forfeiture reform bill to Governor Jerry Brown for a signature. Senate Bill 443 (SB443) passed the Senate 38-1 in June, and already passed unanimously out of the Public Safety Committee in the Assembly earlier this month.
BUT, inside sources say that the establishment is pressing hard behind the scenes to kill the bill in the Appropriations Committee in the Assembly, which reconvenes in mid-August. It’s essential for people who want to stop this abominable practice to take action today.
PLEASE TAKE THE FOLLOWING ACTION STEPS NOW TO SUPPORT SB443!
1. Call the Chairman of the Assembly Appropriations Committee, Jimmy Gomez – Politely urge him to move the bill forward in their committee and to vote YES to send it to the assembly floor. Make sure to call them, it has far more impact.
His Number: (916) 319-2051
2. Call all the other committee members. Strongly, but respectfully, urge each of them to vote YES on SB443. Make sure to call them, it has far more impact.
Frank Bigelow (R) (Vice Chair)- (916) 319-2005
Richard Bloom (D) – (916) 319-2050
Rob Bonta (D) – (916) 319-2018
Ian C. Calderon (D) – (916) 319-2057
Ling Ling Chang (R) – (916) 319-2055
Tom Daly (D) – (916) 319-2069
Susan Talamantes Eggman (D) – (916) 319-2013
James Gallagher (R) – (916) 319-2003
Eduardo Garcia (D) – (916) 319-2056
Chris R. Holden (D) – (916) 319-2041
Brian W. Jones (R) – (916) 319-2071
Bill Quirk (D) – (916) 319-2020
Anthony Rendon (D) – (916) 319-2063
Donald P. Wagner (R)- (916) 319-2068
Shirley N. Weber (D) – (916) 319-2079
Jim Wood (D) – (916) 319-2002
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Make sure to follow-up. If they say YES, be sure to thank them and, if possible, announce their committed YES vote to email and social media contacts. If they say no, politely ask them why. Get the information from them and contact us.
4. Spread the Word. Share this information widely by facebook, twitter, email and other social networks.
5. Pitch in and help us grow our efforts. Help our efforts to end the War on Drugs and to bring peace on our streets: http://peaceonourstreets.com/donate