The Edward O. Hawkins and Thomas C. Slater Medical Marijuana Act took effect immediately upon passage on January 3, 2006. The law removes state-level criminal penalties on the use, possession and cultivation of marijuana by patients who possess “written certification” from their physician stating, “In the practitioner’s professional opinion, the potential benefits of the medical use of marijuana would likely outweigh the health risks for the qualifying patient.
In 2010, law enforcement in Rhode Island made 2,253 arrests for marijuana possession.
For 2015, Rhode Island S510 would legalize marijuana for recreational use, effectively blocking the federal prohibition on the same. S510 must pass through the Senate Judiciary Committee successfully before it can receive a full vote in the state senate. Take the following action steps to ensure the success of this important bill.
1. Call the Senate Judiciary Committee Chair, Michael J. McCaffrey. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move this important bill forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on S510.
Paul V. Jabour (D) Vice Chair 401-751-3300
Erin P. Lynch (D) (401) 739-8500
Stephen R. Archambault (R) (401) 231-9700
William J. Conley, Jr. (D) (401) 438-1924
Mark W. Gee (R) No phone number given | E-mail: email@example.com
Frank S. Lombardi (D) (401) 453-3900
Harold M. Metts (D) (401) 272-0112
Donna M. Nesselbush (D) (401) 728-3244
Leonidas P. Raptakis (D) (401) 397-2720
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Make sure to follow-up. If they say YES, be sure to thank them and, if possible, announce their committed YES vote to email and social media contacts. If they say no, politely ask them why. Get the information from them and contact us.
4. SPREAD THE WORD. Share this information widely by facebook, twitter, email and other social networks.
5. PITCH IN AND HELP US GROW. Help our efforts to end the War on Drugs and to bring peace on our streets: http://peaceonourstreets.com/donate