On 06-02-14, Gov. Nikki Haley signed S839 signed into law, a law legalizing hemp cultivation. Additional action to expand or build upon this can be taken on a state level.
South Carolina S.559 expands on the 2014 state law legalizing industrial hemp by creating the needed mechanisms to put the law into effect and begin planting. The bill must pass through the Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee successfully before it can receive a full state senate vote. Take the following action steps to support this important bill.
1. Call the Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee Chair, Danny Verdin. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move S.559 forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on S.559.
Larry Grooms (R) (803) 212-6400
Kent Williams (D) (803) 212-6000
Vincent Sheheen (D) (803) 212-6032
Shane Massey (R) (803) 212-6024
Tom Corbin (R) (803) 212-6100
Thomas McElveen (D) (803) 212-6132
Tom Young (R) (803) 212-6124
Ronnie Sabb (D) (803) 212-6032
John Matthews (D) (803) 212-6056
Kevin Bryant (R) (864) 202-8394
Paul Campbell (R) (803) 212-6016
Chauncey Gregory (R) (803) 212-6024
Creighton Coleman (D) (803) 212-6132
Greg Hembree (R) (803) 212-6016
Katrina Frye Shealy (R) (803) 530-8787
Bradley Hutto (D) (803) 212-6140
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Make sure to follow-up. If they say YES, be sure to thank them and, if possible, announce their committed YES vote to email and social media contacts. If they say no, politely ask them why. Get the information from them and contact us.
4. SPREAD THE WORD. Share this information widely by facebook, twitter, email and other social networks.
5. PITCH IN AND HELP US GROW. Help our efforts to end the War on Drugs and to bring peace on our streets: http://peaceonourstreets.com/donate