Texas HB2165 would legalize recreational marijuana. It must pass successfully through the House Committee on Criminal Jurisprudence before it can receive a full vote. Take the following steps to support the bill.
1. Call the House Committee on Criminal Jurisprudence Chair, Abel Herrero. Strongly, but respectfully urge him to move HB2165 forward to a vote in his committee. A phone call has 10x the impact of an email.
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Again, be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on HB2165.
Joe Moody (D) Vice Chair (512) 463-0728
Terry Canales (D) (512) 463-0426
Todd Hunter (R) (512) 463-0672
Jeff Leach (R) (512) 463-0544
Matt Shaheen (R) (512) 463-0594
David Simpson (R) Bill Author (512) 463-0750
3. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 3-4 days. Make sure to follow-up. If they say YES, be sure to thank them and, if possible, announce their committed YES vote to email and social media contacts. If they say no, politely ask them why. Get the information from them and contact us.
4. Attend the Committee Hearing. This bill is scheduled for a committee hearing on 04/08/2015. No specific time was given for the hearing but proceedings begin at 10:30 am that day. Show up as early as possible that day to support the bill. The hearing will take place at the following address:
1100 Congress Ave.
Austin, TX 78701
5. Spread the Word. Share this information widely by facebook, twitter, email and other social networks.
6. Pitch In & Help Us Grow. Help our efforts to end the War on Drugs and to bring peace on our streets: http://peaceonourstreets.com/donate